Are you ready to go on a snack adventure that’s not just incredibly tasty but also full of health benefits? Roasted pumpkin seeds are here to make your snacking dreams come true. These are not only a delight to munch on but also pack a punch in the nutrition department.
Why Roasted Pumpkin Seeds?
Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are little powerhouses of nutrition. They’re loaded with essential nutrients like magnesium, zinc, and iron, which can contribute to your overall well-being. Magnesium is a champion for your heart health and bone strength, while zinc is your immune system’s best friend.
But the benefits don’t stop there. These seeds are brimming with antioxidants, which can help combat oxidative stress in your body. They’re also a fantastic source of fiber, promoting digestive health and helping you stay fuller for longer. And they’re heart-friendly, too, thanks to their healthy fats.
The Snacking Fun:
Get creative in the kitchen, experimenting with different seasonings and flavor profiles. Share the joy of snack time with friends and family, or savor them all by yourself. Whether it’s movie night, a quick energy boost during the day, or a delicious addition to your salad or oatmeal, roasted pumpkin seeds can elevate any snacking experience.
The Money-Saving Secret: Homemade Goodness:
Beyond their exceptional flavor and nutritional benefits, there’s another fantastic aspect to consider – cost-effectiveness. Making roasted pumpkin seeds at home is not only super easy; it’s also budget-friendly. When you carve your Halloween pumpkin or prepare a delicious pumpkin dish (like our pumpkin puree recipe), don’t toss those seeds away. Instead, give them a second life as a scrumptious, homemade snack.
By using ingredients you likely already have on hand, you’ll not only save money but also reduce food waste. It’s a win-win situation – delicious, nutritious, and economical. Plus, you have the freedom to season them just the way you like.
So, are you ready to dive into the world of roasted pumpkin seeds? Get your oven preheated, gather your seeds, and explore the endless possibilities of this wholesome, budget-friendly snack that’s as fun to make as it is to eat. Get ready to snack your way to a healthier, happier you!
Oven Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
What you need
- Slice open your pumpkin. If you’re using the pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern then just cut the top and reach in through the hole to reach your seeds, if not then just slice it in half for easy access.
- You can use a spoon or any sturdy scoop to scoop out the seeds. I used an ice- cream scoop and it worked perfectly.
- Transfer seeds to a large bowl, don’t worry about removing the pulp yet.
- Add enough water to cover seeds + more so that seeds begin to float (I add about 2-3 inches of water above seeds)
- Give the seeds a good mix with your hand
- Scoop out loose seeds that float and separate pulp from remaining seeds. Discard pulp.
- Transfer seeds to colander and rinse. Drain and pat dry with dishtowels.
- Spread seeds on baking sheet and bake at 250°F about 1 hr,until dry.
- Toss with olive oil, season with salt and roast at 350°F, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 20 min.
- Cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
Add these seasoning combos before roasting for a tailored flavor experience:
- Ranch: 1 tablespoon dried parsley + 1 tablespoon dried dill + 2 teaspoons garlic powder + 2 teaspoons onion powder + ½ teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon black pepper (Note: this recipe will give make a good amount of seasoning, reserve what you don’t need for the seeds to make dressing (add buttermilk), season food or make dip (add yogurt).
- Earthy chocolate: 1 Tbsp cocoa powder + 1 tsp ground cinnamon + 1tsp sugar
- Spice it up: 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Cacio e Pepe: 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese + 2 tsp cracked pepper